Thursday, February 26, 2009

Birthday Artichoke

Happy Birthday to ME! In our family you get to have WHATEVER you want to eat on your birthday (within reason...like I'll never get a "lobster gram" from Maine, which is an overnighted lobster in special packaging...cost over 100.00) no matter how annoyed everyone else gets by the smell etc... Pretty much every year I get an artichoke. Mmmmmm. I think it's an acquired taste, but if you've acquired it you know what I mean. So to make the perfect Artichoke...


Get out your steamer or steamer basket, and get the water boiling.
Cut off stem, and with a sharp knife (serraded bread knife works well) slice off the top inch or so, to make a flat spot. If you want to, clip off the remaining thorny tips with kitchen sissors.
Place upside down in the steamer, cover and steam for 45-50 min.
I like to drizzle it with olive oil and lemon.
Serve with melted salted butter.

No comments: