Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Baked Eggs in Maple Toast Cups

Yet another from the "150 Best American Recipes" that has made it to my frequently cooked category. As in, I make it a couple times a month. So easy, and it looks really fancy, but I don't even need the recipe anymore. So instead of typing it word for word...

1 1/2 Tablespoons butter melted
1 1/2 Tablespoons maple syrup (the real stuff please!!!)
6 slices of bread with crusts cut off (regular store bread works great)
3 slices bacon cooked till crisp and crumbled
6 large eggs

Preheat oven to 400, butter 6 muffin cups, or 6 ramekins, or use silicone cupcake cups

Combine maple syrup and melted butter

cut off crusts from the bread slices, and flatten with a rolling pin. brush both sides with the butter/maple mixture, and stuff down inside the muffin cup.

sprinkle some bacon on top of the toast (i never seem to have the bacon on hand, and it's just wonderful even without it) then crack an egg into each cup.

Bake until eggs are set, start checking after about 5 min, but if using individual ramekins it's more like 15 min.

Serve in the ramekins, or tip them out and they hold their shape. So fun! We love them!

3 comments:

Virginia Taylors said...

The maple flavor makes this for me! I love these. Thanks for typing up the recipe.

Amy said...

I'm going to try these this weekend. The last time I cut off crusts and rolled the bread was when we made pb&j "sushi" for the boys for lunch-they love it.

Virginia Taylors said...

I added the recipe for the samoan chicken recipe for you!!!